Sunday, January 15, 2012

Reflecting on 2011

So, the year 2011 has come and gone. I know this is a really delayed 'reflection' but I was struggling with headaches towards the end of 2011.

2011 has been a 'big' year - getting married, moving out and starting our own little family unit, settling into Cornerstone (my new church family whom I love!) and once again getting my hands dirty in ministry, this time - building people, not paper :) Overall, it has been a great year....

Marriage has been so wonderful! I am so thankful for my hubby. Life with Ed has been full of laughter and finding joy in doing mundane chores together. I may have felt 'lost' for brief moments as I breakaway from being a young, free, single girl to a married woman who is now 'the other half' of her husband. I know it was only readjustments and frankly, I love involving my hubby in everything and asking him if it is okay that I spend this evening with so and so. Serving together has been great as it teaches us how to work together to love and encourage others. EVEN IF I am doing the projection for a WOMEN'S event, Ed is there setting up the projection and sound for us. Little does he know his wife is watching him like a hawk (Okay, that sounds wrong) and learning as he lives generously with his time and money.

My new immediate family, now consiting of hubby, 2 x dads, 2 x mums, 1 x brother and 2 x sisters is a big part of our lives. I couldn't ask for better in laws. I miss my sister heaps and want to spend so much more time with her but I know that it is healthy to wean ourselves out of spending 'all' our time together.

Cornerstone is a another big part of our lives. I am so thankful to be surrounded by people who loves God and encourage you to do the same. This year I have been challenged to sharpen and shape up my mind again as I dig into God's word. The sermons on Sundays have been sticking better in my head, probably because we talk about it after church and also during bible study @ the Tongs Connect Group during the week. I was feeling overworked and lacked growth in 2010 but 2011 has been a year where I am able to sit under CS'a faithful teaching in church.

Ed & I have been learning hospitality in our cosy unit. We've had people over for dinner almost every week and have been so blessed by the rich fellowship we enjoy with both young and old. God willing, we hope to continue this in the coming years.

So, how am I going in finding my mission heart?

Taking baby steps but by God's grace moving forward.
- I have been learning to put aside my fears and going forth in faith to serve. No doubt, I will always be confronted with fear through my life.
- I have started discipling this year though still being discipled myself by Jesus.
- We have been trying to pray together as a couple more regularly for others and for the world.
- We have been preparing for the Thailand Mission trip. We know this is only an exposure trip but nevertheless it will be great to see the work of the gospel overseas.
- As part of the ladies group, we have started to do walk up evangelism. It was scary but you learn to rely on prayer so much more!

As 2011 drew to a close, Ed & I chose to spend the evening in the quietness of our home (partly because of this headache I have been suffering from). We heard the fireworks were spectacular but we have stopped being fascinated by them. A sign of growing old? Perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment